2019 Kalșeri presidential election
|This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section |
If you are the editor who added this template and you are actively editing, please be sure to replace this template with
|Turnout||19,814,344 (96.5% of registered voters)|
Map showing the two most voted parties in each canton
The 2019 Kalșeri presidential election was the 28th presidential election held in Kalșeri. It took place on September 20, 2019. Incumbent President and Social Cooperationist candidate Maksimilianus Ureska, who was allowed to run for a second term, was re-elected, with almost 14 percentage points over former President and Liberal Democrat candidate Alejandra Ríos Soriano. The election also saw the best performance in the polls by the Libertarian Party so far, reaching 22.9% of the preferences and overtaking Kalșerians for Change as the third-most voted party.
Even though Maksimilianus Ureska was alienated by some Liberal Cooperationists, his nomination as the official candidate for the Social Cooperation Party was never put into question, according to political analysts. The selection of candidates for the Liberal Democratic Party mostly consisted of candidates who had previously run for President, including former Presidents Alejandra Ríos Soriano and Phil Garner, as well as Élena Kunar, who had run in 2014; the series of withdrawals from the other candidates eventually meant that Ríos Soriano was the only serious candidate left. The Libertarian Party unanimously chose its pragmatic leader, Damian Feynman, in an effort to sway potential electors from the two main parties. Kalșerians for Change ultimately resorted to nominating High Summoner Cassandra Newell as the candidate for the party, as they had done ten and five years prior. The Movement for Action and Șin Seri initially considered running together by writing a common program and fielding a common candidate; however, the deal fell through when social policies were being discussed, as Șin Seri's staunch opposition to Christianity was incompatible with the Movement's espousal of Christianity as a core ideal.
On September 20 of every year ending with 4 or 9, Kalșerian citizens are called to vote for the President. Instant-runoff voting is employed, with the additional option of writing the preferred candidate's name, should they not appear in the ballot.
- 1 Candidates
- 2 Results
- 3 Televised debates
- 4 Opinion polling
- 5 Candidates on the ballot
- 6 Reactions
According to Kalșerian election law, running parties are required to file their official candidate by 30 days before the election takes place, but important parties, such as the SCP and the LDP, usually choose their candidate before that date.
- Aleksandrus Șáșnegi (LG), President of the Social Cooperation Party, 2017-present. Withdrawal announced on February 28, 2019.
- Al Backer (TK), Governor of Takalim, 2007-2014. Lost to Ureska in the Party Nomination of August 9, 2019.
- Aleksandra Haus (EV), President of the Women's Union, 2009-present. Lost to Ureska in the Party Nomination of August 9, 2019.
- Alejandra Ríos Soriano (SR), President of Kalșeri, 1999-2004, High Councillor for Iskio, 1989-1999, Mayor of Loskaf, 1985-1988.
- George Calhoun (NK), High Councillor for New Kerry, 2012-present. Withdrawal announced on February 26, 2019.
- Élena Kunar (KL), President of the Liberal Democratic Party. Withdrawal announced on April 1, 2019.
- Phil Garner (CV), President of Kalșeri, 1989-1999, Governor pro tempore of Iarkel, 1995. Withdrawal announced on April 9, 2019.
- Julius Lyeman (NL), businessman, CEO of Lyeman Investments U1SK. Withdrawal announced on August 15, 2019.
Kalșerians for Change
- Cassandra Newell (KL), High Summoner, High Councillor for Kalúen, 2012-present, President of Kalșerians for Change.
- Lawrence Keane (LG), CEO of Elektrem. Withdrawal announced on May 17, 2019.
- Rikárd Honis (EV), civil rights activist. Withdrawal announced on June 3, 2019.
- Libertarian Party: Damian Feynman (EV), Secretary of the party.
- Movement for Action: Matías Șandler (NL), Secretary of the party, grandson of Ioen Rovuan.
- British Interests Party: Jordan Heath (CS), Secretary of the party.
- Workers' Alliance: Sibilla Seris (EV), President of the Workers' Party of Evalria
- Withdrew on August 31, 2019 and encouraged electors to vote for Ureska instead.
- Șin Seri: Grigor Komanș (NL), Leader of the party, High Councillor for Așál, 2017-present
- Parti National Cartierois: Sébastien Parry (CI), Secretary of the party, Mayor of Enrikrél, 2013-present
- Alianza Sanrafaelita: Esteban Velázquez Del Potro (SR), founder of the party, Governor of Iskio, 1993-2000
- Communist Party of Kalșeri: Luis Logi (TI), Secretary of the party, Member of the Șindal Cantonal Council for Venhal, 1998-present
- Socialist Fight: George Kaufman (TI), Secretary of the party, 2004-present
- Kalșerian Communist Assembly: John Peter Fink (JV), Secretary of the party, 2006-present
- Humanist Party: Philip Lowell (CS), President of the party
- New Lothianer People's Party: Jon Gorekiss (NL), Founder and Secretary of the party, 2003-present
- Anti-Party: "Emperor" Brian Feene (EV), President of the party
- Ron Ditch (CS), public employee
- Fulgêncio Gonçalves Skrippner (LG), musical producer and founder of the Committee for the Freedom of Naming
- Clíodhna Ní Dubhshláine (NK), Member of the Legislative Assembly of New Kerry for Treetoor
- Successfully applied to have votes written as (Clíodhna) Delaney count.
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||6,677,434||33.7%||Incumbent|
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||4,777,238||24.11%||Served as President, 1999-2004|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||1,902,177||9.6%|
|Matías Șandler||Movement for Action||812,388||4.1%|
|Jordan Heath||British Interests||178,329||0.9%||Shown in Cape Sundervale and New Kerry, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Marius Kurtl||Christian Democrat||145,635||0.73%||Shown in Takalim, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Clíodhna Ní Dubhshláine||131,171||0.662%||Shown in Evalria, Lág and New Kerry, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Fulgêncio Gonçalves Skrippner||91,542||0.462%||Shown in Evalria and Lág, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Grigor Komanș||Șin Seri||59,443||0.3%||Write-in candidate in Cape Sundervale, Cartier Island and New Kerry, shown everywhere else|
|Jon Gorekiss||New Lothianer||56,320||0.28%||Shown in New Lothian, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Sébastien Parry||Cartierois||34,922||0.18%||Shown in Cartier Island, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|George Kaufman||Socialist Fight||29,722||0.15%||Shown in Tigupoke, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Esteban Velázquez Del Potro||Alianza Sanrafaelita||24,530||0.12%||Shown in San Rafael, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Luis Logi||Communist||17,832||0.09%||Shown in Tigupoke, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Ioséf Várșanin||Farmer||15,059||0.076%||Shown in New Lothian, write-in candidate everywhere else|
|Ron Ditch||13,870||0.07%||Write-in candidate|
|Philip Lowell||Humanist||9,907||0.05%||Write-in candidate|
|"Emperor" Brian Feene||Anti-Party||7,926||0.04%||Write-in candidate|
|Other candidates||75,689||0.37%||Including "Myself", Mario, Donald Duck and other perennial or non-serious candidates|
In Cape Sundervale, BIP candidate Jordan Heath won the majority of votes for the second time in a row, confirming the BIP hold. There were 134,041 registered voters, 91% of which voted, setting the record for the highest turnout in this election.
Cape Sundervale is the only canton where neither the Social Cooperation Party nor the Liberal Democrats contested, instead backing Cassandra Newell and Jordan Heath respectively.
|Jordan Heath||British Interests||72,698||59.6%||Backed by the Liberal Democrats|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||34,629||28.39%||Backed by the Social Cooperation Party|
|Ron Ditch||9,849||8.1%||Write-in candidate|
|Philip Lowell||Humanist||3,920||3.2%||Write-in candidate|
Alejandra Ríos Soriano received the most votes in Cartier Island, with a 4.2% lead over Maksimilianus Ureska, while PNC candidate Sébastien Parry won 11.27% of the votes. There were 463,497 registered voters, 66.8% of which voted.
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||110,223||35.6%|
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||97,219||31.4%|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||15,109||4.88%|
|Clíodhna Ní Dubhshláine||11,146||3.6%||Write-in candidate|
|Matías Șandler||Movement for Action||7,740||2.5%|
|Jordan Heath||British Interests||1,934||0.62%|
Alejandra Ríos Soriano was the most voted candidate in Chalmersville, beating Maksimilianus Ureska with a 3.5% lead. There were 591,326 registered voters, and the turnout was 75.2%.
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||206,330||46.4%|
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||191,656||43.1%|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||9,783||2.2%|
|Jordan Heath||British Interests||599||0.13%|
Despite receiving less than a third of the total votes, Maksimilianus Ureska was the most voted candidate in Evalria, with Damian Feynman finishing second. Along with Lág, Evalria is one of the two cantons where Alejandra Ríos Soriano did not finish within the first two positions. There were 1,319,993 registered voters, 76.8% of which went to vote.
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||319,671||31.5%|
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||215,144||21.2%|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||150,195||14.8%|
|Clíodhna Ní Dubhshláine||17,325||1.71%|
|Philip Lowell||Humanist||5,204||0.51%||Write-in candidate|
|Fulgêncio Gonçalves Skrippner||3,206||0.32%|
Alejandra Ríos Soriano received the most votes in Janval, reaching a third of the total votes. Șin Seri candidate Grigor Komanș reached the highest consensus in Janval, with 34,181 votes. 2,191,106 voters were registered in Janval, and the turnout was 62.4%.
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||456,661||33.4%|
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||426,582||31.2%|
|Matías Șandler||Movement for Action||184,579||13.5%|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||49,221||3.6%|
|Marius Kurtl||Christian Democrat||42,385||3.1%||Write-in candidate|
|Grigor Komanș||Șin Seri||34,181||2.5%|
Traditionally a swing canton, Kalúen had the Social Cooperationist candidate win in the canton for the second time in a row, reaffirming the notion that if a candidate wins in Kalúen, they will be elected President. The canton is also where Ní Dubhshláine received the most votes. There were 4,034,520 registered voters, and 3,336,548 of them went to the ballot boxes, constituting an 82.7% turnout, among the highest in the country.
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||1,257,879||37.7%|
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||887,522||26.6%|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||213,539||6.4%|
|Clíodhna Ní Dubhshláine||73,404||2.2%||Write-in candidate|
|Fulgêncio Gonçalves Skrippner||50,049||1.5%||Write-in candidate|
|Matías Șandler||Movement for Action||30,029||0.9%|
|Grigor Komanș||Șin Seri||15,014||0.45%|
|George Kaufman||Socialist Fight||13,346||0.4%||Write-in candidate|
|Marius Kurtl||Christian Democrat||11,678||0.35%||Write-in candidate|
|Ioséf Várșanin||Farmer||8,341||0.25%||Write-in candidate|
The Ureska-Newell duo triumphed in Lág, with 60% of the votes; Alejandra Ríos Soriano, however, failed to reach the top two positions, receiving just over 10% of the votes. Several commentators have tried to come up with an explanation for such a poor performance: among the theories, the one most commonly brought forward is that the constituents did not forgive Ríos Soriano for approving the plans to expand the Evalria International Airport, thereby destroying a neighborhood.
2,788,429 registered voters showed up at the polling station, establishing a 79.5% turnout.
|Maksimilianus Ureska||Social Cooperation||900,663||32.3%|
|Cassandra Newell||Kalșerians for Change||772,395||27.7%|
|Alejandra Ríos Soriano||Liberal Democratic||284,420||10.2%|
|Matías Șandler||Movement for Action||100,383||3.6%|
|Grigor Komanș||Șin Seri||36,250||0.3%|
|Fulgêncio Gonçalves Skrippner||35,970||1.29%|
The television channel RNU 1 organized six televised debates throughout the electoral campaign.
|Ní Dubhshláine||Not invited||Not invited||Not invited||Not invited||Attended||Attended|
|Seris||Not invited||Invited||Not invited||Not invited||Attended||Attended|
|Skrippner||Not invited||Not invited||Not invited||Invited||Attended||Attended|
|Komanș||Attended||Not invited||Attended||Not invited||Attended||Not invited|
|Gorekiss||Not invited||Not invited||Attended||Not invited||Invited||Not invited|
|9 September 2019||YouTrend||35%||22%||24%||-||-||12%||4%||-||-||-||-||3%||-|
|1 September 2019||Absolut||34%||23%||22%||-||-||14%||5%||-||-||-||-||2%||-|
|3 August 2019||KalStat||32%||26%||17%||-||-||12%||7%||-||-||-||-||3%||3%|
|7 July 2019||RNU||33%||24%||21%||-||-||13%||4%||-||-||-||-||1%||4%|
|2 June 2019||YouTrend||31%||26%||19%||-||-||10%||6%||-||-||-||-||1%||7%|
|5 May 2019||RNU||30%||25%||20%||-||-||9%||5%||-||-||1%||2%||3%||5%|
|10 April 2019||Absolut||35%||33%||18%||-||-||4%||3%||-||-||-||-||2%||5%|
|3 March 2019||KalStat||27%||23%||16%||8%||4%||3%||3%||-||-||-||-||11%||5%|
|19 Feb 2019||YouTrend||23%||21%||15%||8%||5%||4%||3%||1%||1%||1%||1%||9%||8%|
|6 Jan 2019||RNU||25%||24%||13%||7%||4%||2%||-||-||2%||1%||-||12%||10%|
|30 Nov 2018||KalStat||22%||25%||11%||8%||6%||5%||3%||1%||2%||1%||1%||8%||7%|
|20 Sep 2018||Absolut||23%||23%||13%||9%||7%||4%||3%||3%||2%||1%||1%||7%||5%|
|21 July 2018||YouTrend||24%||23%||15%||7%||5%||3%||2%||2%||1%||1%||-||6%||10%|
|9 May 2018||KalStat||23%||25%||13%||9%||6%||5%||4%||3%||2%||1%||1%||3%||5%|
|15 March 2018||Absolut||23%||23%||14%||11%||7%||4%||3%||1%||1%||1%||2%||5%||5%|
Candidates on the ballot
Candidates marked with √ had their names printed on the ballot paper as rankable choices.
|Candidate||Cape Sundervale||Cartier Island||Chalmersville||Evalria||Janval||Kalúen||Lág||New Kerry||New Lothian||San Rafael||Takalim||Tigupoke||Urgel|
- Social Cooperation Party:
- Maksimilianus Ureska: upon hearing the news of his re-election, he phoned Ríos Soriano and Feynman to "thank [them] for the very worthy competition".
- Aleksandrus Șáșnegi and the rest of the Party congratulated Maksimilianus Ureska for the victory.
- Aleksandra Haus stated her satisfaction for Ureska's victory, while warning him not to abandon his social policies.
- Al Backer told journalists that "[Ureska] was going to win, no doubt about that."
- Liberal Democratic Party:
- Alejandra Ríos Soriano said that the Party is "still the second force in the country", and admonished the Party about the dangers of "identity crisis, which could lead to catastrophe".
- Élena Kunar replied to Ríos Soriano's remarks and conceded that "identity crisis is a real threat within the Party"; she then went on to say that "[they] have to keep our role of sensible opposition."
- Libertarian Party: Damian Feynman wrote on Twitter that "[he] may not have reached the Palace, but this is just the beginning for the #GoldenWave" (#HennúOna).
- Kalșerians for Change: Cassandra Newell congratulated Ureska for the victory, and told him that her party is willing to work together with the SCP in regards to climate change and social policies.
- Movement for Action: Matías Șandler held an interview, saying that "this was a disappointment", referring to earlier posts proclaiming that the "Right [would] reach higher consensus than ever". He then declared that the disappointing result would not deter him from his usual political activity.
- Clíodhna Ní Dubhshláine expressed her excitement to appear among the ten most voted candidates, commenting that her presidential campaign had "gone further than [she] could ever have imagined". She then replied to Komanș's "string-plucking doofus" with "Fancy hearing a sad song on the world's smallest harp, Grigor?"
- Fulgêncio Gonçalves Skrippner expressed bitterness over his failure to reach 1% of the votes, but also stated his acceptance of the results and his willingness to go on with his political activism.
- British Interests Party: Jordan Heath wrote on Twitter "This election, like in the past, proves a point: I'm not here to reach the Palace, I'm here to express the concerns of Cape Sundervale. Don't let us down, Max!"
- Șin Seri: Grigor Komanș wrote a post on Facebook, expressing his outrage about people's willingness to vote for "a bunch of [...] Communists", "a string-plucking doofus" and "someone who probably shouldn't even be running" rather than an "honest candidate", concluding with "[n]o wonder Kalșeri is going to s**t". His post was consequently stormed with negative feedback from political opponents, forcing him to disable comments. The following day, Komanș wrote another post, stating solidarity towards Matías Șandler and describing him as "the only big-party leader in Kalșeri with a functioning brain".
- New Lothianer People's Party: Jon Gorekiss commented that the Party had to put up a bigger fight than usual, but still made it clear that New Lothian still trusts the Party.