Kongsberg Protector RWS
|Kongsberg Protector RWS|
|Type||Remote Weapon System||
|Place of origin||Skandinavia|
Sold to more than 20 nations
|No. built||More than 20,000|
|Variants||M151, M155, Lite, Medium Caliber, Dual Weapon|
|Weight||130 to 500 kg depending on variant|
|Height||75 to 105 mm depending on variantes|
|Caliber||7.62 mm, 12.7 mm, 20 mm, 30 mm, 40 mm grenades|
|Elevation||-25° to 80°|
|Maximum firing range||1000 to 3000|
|Sights||CCD camera and thermal imager, Day Camera VIS 95 and Infrared Aim Laser|
Protector Remote Weapon Station (RWS) is a remotely controlled weapon station for light and medium calibre weapons and can be mounted on any type of platform. It was developed by Kongsberg of Skandinavia to protect armored vehicles without exposing the vehicle's crew to enemy fire and it has been in full scale production since December 2001. Since then more than 17,000 systems have been sold to 37 nations.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Protector was developed to protect armored vehicles without exposing the vehicle's crew to enemy fire. Such a system enables the crew to effectively operate the weapon and sensor systems of the WCS well protected under armor. The Protector has been designed to integrate light and medium-caliber guns as well as missile and grenade launchers. The weapon station consists of a sophisticated weapon tower featuring electro-optical sights and allows the system to be operated from inside the vehicle with a high degree of precision to protect the gunner from beeing exposed. The system consists of a stabilized firing platform, a fire-control system and control grips. Several weapons can be mounted to the platform and the system also features 4 M6 Smoke Grenade Dischargers.
Versions[edit | edit source]
Protector M151[edit | edit source]
M151 PROTECTOR is designed for small and medium caliber weapons, and can be installed on any type of platform.
- Detached Line of Sight (DLOS) enables the gunner to keep his sights on target, independent of ballistic solution for the weapon/ammunition in use.
- Fully stabilized system provides unmatched observation and engagement capabilities.
- Thermal Imager with dual field of view, autofocus and e-zoom.
- Color Daylight camera allows a wide field of view up to 45 degrees while observing, and more than 30 times optical magnified close-up view of the target area when identifying and engaging a long distance target.
- Compatible with any available Laser Range Finder on the market.
- PROTECTOR, with its DLOS, is the ultimate solution for accurate operation of the 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher (AGL).
Integrated Weapons & Missiles:
- M249 (5,56)
- Browning M2 (12,7mm)
- MK19 (40 mm Automatic Grenade Launcher)
- M240 (7,62mm)
- JAVELIN AT
- Heckler & Koch GMG 40 mm AGL, MG3 and other standard
- Smoke Grenade Launchers
- Weight of Weapon Station excl. weapon and ammunition - 135 kg
- Height of Weapon Station excl. weapon and ammunition - 749 mm
- Temperature, Operating - -46°C to + 65°C
- Temperature, Storage - -51°C to + 71°C
- EMC - MIL-STD-461
- Vibration - MIL-STD-810, Method 514.4
Protector M155[edit | edit source]
Identical to M151 with extended functionality:
- Day Camera VIS 95 with 95 field of view developed by Kongsberg.
- Infrared Aim Laser (850 nm) developed by Kongsberg.
Protector Lite[edit | edit source]
Designed for low recoil weapon
- 7.62mm or smaller
Extensive commomality with PROTECTOR M151. The result of this gives retained reliability and accuracy.
- Identical MMI, Identical vehicle interface
- Identical servo system and drive mechanisms
- Identical sensor controllers
Optimized for low weight and versatile
- New structure, designed for lower loads
- Two-axis system
- Supporting a wide range of sensors/weapons
Protector Medium Caliber RWS[edit | edit source]
The PROTECTOR Medium Caliber Remote Weapon Station (MC RWS) is a turret solution designed for 25-50mm cannons mountable on wheeled or tracked armored vehicles.
- 21st Century Turret – low signature and reduced weight provides increased mobility and survivability.
- Highly effective weapon system for multiple types of ammunition.
- Increased hull space to accommodate more dismounted infantry.
- Escalation of Force (EOF) package available.
- Flexible/Modular System Integration.
- Highly reliable and designed for ease of maintenance.
The medium caliber automatic cannon and coaxial machine gun combined with optional non-lethal effects provides the vehicle crew the necessary tools to engage in a wide spectrum of situations and to conduct Escalation of Force. The availability of having two ammunition types simultaneously gives the flexibility to configure the system to engage both soft and hard targets beyond 3,000 meters. A Commander’s sight solution, based on the PROTECTOR RWS family, gives the commander an independent surveillance and lethal/non-lethal engagement capability and enables a two way hunter/killer capability.
Protector Dual Remote Weapon Station[edit | edit source]
The PROTECTOR Dual Remote Weapon Station (DRWS) is based on the existing PROTECTOR Family of Remote Weapon Stations. This innovative system features, amongst other things, a coaxial weapon adaptor for 7,62 mm and 5,56 mm and dual user functionality.
The coaxial weapon is on the same axis as the main gun, and the system automatically compensates for the parallell axis between the sights and the axis.