McGarrett International Airport

From Constructed Worlds
Jump to navigation Jump to search
McGarrett International Airport
File:HeliViewOfMcGarrett.jpeg
Overhead view of McGarret International Airport.
Summary
Airport type Public
Owner Ministry of Transportation
Operator McGarrett Transportation
Serves Liberta
Location McGarrett Special District, Liberta
Hub for Air Liber, American Airways, British Airways, Iberia (International Airways Group), Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines, Azores Airlines, Cabo Verde Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, Emirates, Qatar Airways, Saudia, Kuwait Airways, Etihad Airways, Royal Jordanian, Gulf Air, Air Ethiopia, El Al, South African Airways.
Elevation AMSL  ft / 6 m
Website fly.mcgarrett.com
Runways
Direction Length Surface
m ft
27L/09R 3,500 11,483 Asphalt Concrete
27 4,000 13,123 Asphalt Concrete
Statistics (2017)
Passengers 84,425,876

McGarrett International Airport (IATA: GIA, ICAO: GNMG), is an international airport on McGarrett Island, outside of Gaius, and is the largest public airport serving Liberta. The airport is the busiest international air passenger gateway into Europe, the 2nd busiest airport in the world, serving over 84 million passengers per year with over 99% being layovers or connecting flights. More than one hundred and ten airlines operate from the airport, with direct flights to destinations in all six inhabited continents.

McGarrett is located on the McGarrett Island, outside of the North-Western Breakwater Island. The airport has eight terminals and two runways, and is the only airport in Liberta which is a hub for both Air Liber and Libertan Airways.

The airport opened in 1921 as McGarrett Airfield, with its original purpose being an experimental and research facility for airplanes. Named after John McGarrett, the first Libertan to construct and fly an airplane.

History[edit | edit source]

Construction[edit | edit source]

McGarrett International Airport was originally called McGarrett Airfield, after pilot John McGarrett. It was constructed to forward and research airplane technology for the Libertan Military as well as for civilian use and research. It was used as a multipurpose airport until 1931 when the Landerson Airforce Base finished construction from two years earlier, which prompted the Air Force to stop using the airport. It remained a relatively small airport, until the postwar aviation boom, when in 1947 it was renamed to McGarrett International Airport in conjunction with new investment and revitalization.

The government revitalization saw a renovation and extension of the original runway, along with a second runway being constructed, as well as new terminal buildings. The project also increased international publicity, as well as an increase as a layover destination for airlines.