Merveilles des Morte
- "Dans l'hiver monochrome nous fera souhaiter les merveilles des choses feuille-morte ..."
- — Anonymous, Merveilles des Morte (17th-century text)
Welcome to Merveilles des Morte, a community timeline beginning in the 13th century. This timeline seeks to explore one alternate, possible world had a number of decisions around this time gone differently. This timeline takes inspiration from this wiki's map games, particularly the game Merveilles du Monde. While in map games the comings and goings of players makes for a unique experience in which different nations rise and fall, this timeline seeks to explore one such possibility without this additional variable. This timeline also seeks to improve upon the plausibility of such map games and maintain a level of realism after the point of divergence, without sacrificing creativity or uniqueness.
Anyone is welcome to sign up for this timeline and contribute. Please read the Editorial Guidelines for the rules and conventions to follow when contributing to this alternate history timeline. Prospective editors or those interested in the timeline are also encouraged to reach out on the timeline's discord server.
Points of Divergence[edit | edit source]
This timeline employs a number of minor points of divergence or changes in addition to one central change at the timeline start date of 1295, simulating a similar experience to that of a map game. Various changes are considered either a result of the butterfly effect from the original point of divergence, or independent, equally possible divergences.
- In 1295 an agreement is reached between Nogai Khan and Toqta of the Golden Horde that prevents their rivalry from turning to war. As a result the Golden Horde is able to launch an invasion of Poland the following year, taking advantage of the death of Przemysł II.
- In the Ilkhanate, claimant Ghazan is decisively defeated by Baydu, who formerly converts to Nestorian Christianity.
- In 1337 the Kamakura Shogunate of Japan is overthrown by Emperor Go-Daigo and establishes direct imperial rule in the country, in what becomes known as the Kenmu Restoration.
- The Norse colonization of Vinland succeeds in creating a lasting European presence in Western Hemisphere, leading to an alternate indigenous landscape prior to full-scale European exploration. The colony of Greenland likewise survives.
Some important or interesting changes based on the above points of divergence include the following:
- The Lowlands is united by the Duchy of Brabant rather than Burgundy, beginning in 1299 by a successful war against Hainaut for the vacant thrones of Zeeland and Holland. This ultimately leads to the creation of the Kingdom of Lotharingia.
- In the region of Oasisamerica (OTL US Southwest) the Pueblo emerge along side several other nations as urbanized civilizations. The Tarascan Empire becomes the preeminent Mesoamerican state, unifying much of central Mexico, and preventing the rise of the Aztec Empire in its early stages.
- An early Western Schism occurs following the election of Pope John XXI in 1306, after the Pope is discovered to have been complacent in rampant simony. An Aragonese conclave elects a rival pope in Callixtus IV, beginning the Johannan War. A similar schism would occur in 1521, which saw the election of a series of rival popes in Germany.
- Temür Khan of China would converts to Nestorian Christianity, but the period of Christian China is short-lived and leads to the collapse of the Yuan, who are replaced by the Tian Dynasty.
- The Protestant Reformation begins in 1504, but the untimely death of its leader, Konrad Jung, leads to the reformation splintering into various groups and becoming more radicalized. During the Great Peasants' War, the peasants are not wholly defeated, leading to a new politico-religious system of governance taking in shape in states such as the Rätian Union.
- In the 21st century, a nuclear war takes place which devastates the globe.
Timeline[edit | edit source]
This timeline employs the literary device of in medias res, meaning it begins "in the middle of the action". As such the timeline primarily begins around the year 16th-century. Earlier additions may be allowed if they do not contradict earlier established lore, or are approved by the moderators.
- 1500-1599 - The Colonization of the Western Hemisphere begins in earnest following the discovery of the New World in 1491 by the Hanseatic League. The Reformation begins in 1504 in Thuringia, sparking a century of European Wars of Religion, the creation of the Rätian Union, and culminating in the Forty Years' War at the end of the century.
Members[edit | edit source]
To join the timeline, please sign below.
- Javants03 (talk) (Moderator)
- Nathanadrian (talk)
- Renereve (talk)
- Domingo Nosferatu
- Qarlonc (talk)
- Kcb30f30 (talk)
- Kuupik (talk)
- Emaliay (talk) (Moderator)
- Gerriandour (talk)
- Solace (talk)
- Vandenhoek (talk) (Observer)
- Candiesrgood (talk)
- Firesofdoom (talk) (Observer)
- Tannoy.unl (talk)
- Qarlonc II (talk)