|This page has been superseded and is obsolete or decanonized, and it is retained primarily for historical interest or will be reworked to fit the current canon.|
- This is a meta page for the Silken Sky universe and therefore should be treated as out of character.
Silken Sky is the project that encompasses a number of worlds, primarily taking place in one galaxy known as the Silky Way. The universe of Silken Sky has many similarities to our own, including the presence of humans with complex societies. But vast areas of the sky are yet to be filled in by astrographers. Only you can tell us what lies beyond!
If you wish to contribute, please add your name to the list of contributors.
Edits to "canon" articles should keep close to the article's original theme. In general, it's a good idea to respect the original author's intended vision. Stub-class articles (that are not are not otherwise marked canon) are open for development; feel free to take them in a new direction.
The physics and nature of the universe have not been fully hammered out, but here are the basics:
- Interstellar movement
- A parallel dimension exists called "overspace", "high space", or "paraspace"
- It's not faster-than-light, but a separate, connected dimension where space is denser
- There is no chance of striking mainspace objects while engaged in overspace travel
- Instead, the dimension presents its own, unique hazards
- Interstellar communication
- Subspace is another type of space that cannot be entered by matter
- Primarily used for communication
- Prior to the discovery of subspace, high-space messengers had to carry messages on risky flights across the stars
- The recent invention of equipment that can tap into subspace has brought with it enormous changes to society and communication
Apart from the above exceptions, the universe behaves functionally the same as our own.
- Ardai, a detailed look at a single planet in its post-classical period