|Place of origin||Skandinavia|
|In service||1997 to present|
|Used by||Skandinavia, Pakistan, Ireland, Baltic Federation|
Electric DC motor with gearbox|
NAtech fuel cell 4.2 kwh
|Hydro-acoustic homing combined with wire guidance and on-board computer|
Torpedo 45 is a 400 mm torpedo intended for ASW and surface targets, providing multiple-target active/passive homing combined with wire guidance. It is designed and manufactured by Saab Dynamics in Skandinavia.
Versatile and flexible[edit | edit source]
Torpedo 45 can be launched from a variety of platforms including stationary, surface vessels, submarines and helicopters.
A proud legacy[edit | edit source]
The Torpedo 45 is based on the experience gathered from the well proven 43-series of torpedoes.
Features[edit | edit source]
The Torpedo 45 is an ASW lightweight torpedo that can be used against shallow-water targets and surface vessels. It is controlled using wire guidance and has a hydro-acoustic homing system for the final phase. The torpedo has features that are unique for lightweight torpedoes.
Standard features[edit | edit source]
- Torpedo 45 combines wire guidance and homing control
- It can be launched from submarines, surface vessels and helicopters
- It can be wire-guided from a flying or hovering helicopter (no parachute necessary)
- Its warhead has a main charge large enough to take out any conventional submarine or seriously damage light surface vessels
Exercise launchings[edit | edit source]
In exercise torpedo launches, the warhead is replaced by an exercise head carrying identical homing equipment. Instead of explosives, the exercise head has a tape recorder for logging a number of torpedo functions, communication with fire-control and hit indications. After each run, the recordings are analysed and torpedo and fire-control functions are checked.
Technical specifications[edit | edit source]
Dimensions and weights[edit | edit source]
|Weight, incl. battery and communication wire||320 kg|
Propulsion system[edit | edit source]
- NAtech fuel cell 4.2 kwh
- 3 speed thyristor battery switching unit
- Electric DC motor with gearbox
Control[edit | edit source]
- Preset and continuously updated targeting.
- Extensive data communication during the mn.
- Hydro-acoustic homing combined with wire guidance and on-board computer